Tough Guy Actor Pastore Always had a Soft Spot for the Bronx
STAND UP GUY: Actor and longtime Bronxite Vincent Pastore held up a copy of the then newly launched Bronx Voice during his induction into the Bronx Walk of Fame in May of 2016. -Photo by David Greene
By David Greene
Bronx Voice
August 2, 2026
BRONX, NY - Media outlets are reporting the death of “Sopranos” actor Vincent Pastore, who was reportedly found dead early yesterday by a neighbor on City Island.
According to an article on Deadline.com who broke the story, Pastore had not been heard from in three days, when a neighbor discovered his body.
The movie website imbd.com reported that Pastore was born in the Bronx on July 14, 1946, but in May of 2016, as Pastore was being inducted into the Bronx Walk of Fame, he told the Bronx Voice that he grew up in New Rochelle.
Deadline.com also reported that Pastore fought in the Vietnam War before graduating from Manhattan’s Pace University with a degree in drama.
Pastore’s longtime manager Robert Altman told People Magazine, “Vinny was one of the kindest, most generous people I have ever known.”
Actor Vincent Pastore (2nd right) holds his proclamation during his induction into the Bronx Walk of Fame in May of 2016.—Photo by David Greene
Speaking at great lengths during the Bronx Walk of Fame induction ceremony in 2016, Pastore fondly recalled visiting his grandparents’ home in Belmont. He recalled his “bad business decisions’ he made when he opened a bar / restaurant that left him bankrupt and how his move to the Bronx at age 40 changed his life forever.
“I was kind of like down-and-out,” Pastore said. He continued, “I moved to the Bronx in 1987, and I took the 6-train into the city and I went on auditions.
Pastore shared how he first settled in the Morris Park section of the borough and landed some commercials, imbd.com reported his first big gig was a ‘Pepsi’ commercial in 1999, which led to at least four guest appearances on the hit-show ‘Law & Order.’
Actor Vincent Pastore rides in a convertible during the Bronx Day Parade along Mosholu Parkway in May of 2016.—Photo by David Greene
Recalling his first film role in ‘True Love,’ that he said was filmed in Morris Park, which led to other roles in ‘Good Fellas,’ ‘Awakenings,’ and Godfather lll.’
So good at playing the typical gangster, Pastore was selected to play Salvatore “Big Pussy” Bonpensiero, who played the best friend to Tony Sopranos, played by the late actor James Gandolfini in the HBO hit series Sopranos. For his efforts Pastore was honored with an award from the Screen Actors Guild in 20000.
At the induction ceremony outside of the Bronx Supreme Court in 2014, Pastore beamed with pride as he said, “To be able to say to my family, hey, I’m on the Bronx Walk of Fame on the Grand Concourse!”
After the Sopranos Pastore turned to reality TV with appearances on such shows as ‘Celebrity Apprentice,’ ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ and ‘Shark Tank.’
With his success Pastore purchased a home on City Island and was often spotted walking across East 187 Street or Arthur Avenue as he visited the meat market or bakeries in the Bronx’ “Little Italy.”
On life in the Bronx, Pastore said, “I’m just really, really proud to be a part of the best borough because, and I’ve said this before, because we’re a melting pot.”
After the cover was pulled off the street sign with his name on it, Pastore was asked what role he was most proud of, he replied, “My best character was in ‘Gotti,’ because I played Angelo Ruggiero and I was able to study his walk and his persona and I worked opposite Anthony Quinn and (Armand) Assante.” He concluded, "I mean I love the Sopranos,’ but I was featured more in Gotti, and it was my breakthrough role.”





Comments
Post a Comment